Although CATT is primarily a testing tool, it can be used for the upload of data.
Please note that other tools, such as the Legacy System Migration Workbench (LSMW) or IBIP, are provided specifically for mass data transfer. I have found, however, that CATT is much simpler to use than LSMW, and that the flat file format used by IBIP leaves a lot to be desired. For these reasons, I consider CATT to be a better tool for the upload of data that requires little in the way of manipulation.
The over-all procedure to upload data using CATT is as follows:
· · Creation of the CATT test case & recording the sample data input.
· · Download of the source file template.
· · Modification of the source file.
· · Upload of the data from the source file.
Details of each step are provided in the following paragraphs. An example screen-cam has also been provided. It can be viewed using the hyperlink (NOT YET PROVIDED)
Creation of the CATT test case:
Creation of the test case is completed as follows:
· · Execute Transaction SCAT
· · Name the test case. Test case name must start with “Z”. It is also good practise to include the transaction code in the test case name (e.g. Z_IE01_UPLOAD for the upload of equipment)
· · Click the “Record” button.
· · Enter the transaction code (e.g. IE01)
· · Continue recording the transaction. Ensure data is entered into every field that is to be used during the upload.
· · Save the test case.
Download the source file template
Download of source file template is conducted in two stages as follows:
· · Creation of import parameters:
· · Within transaction SCAT, Double Click on the TCD line in the “Maintain Functions” screen.
· · Click the Field List button (Field list is displayed).
· · For every field that you wish to upload data, double click in the Column New field contents (This creates an import parameter).
· · In the Maintain Import Parameter Pop-Up:
· · Delete the default value if not required.
· · Press Enter
· · The New field contents column now contains the character & followed by the field name (e.g. &EQART). This is the name of the import parameter.
· · Repeat this for every field (in every screen) to be uploaded.
· · Back out and save the CATT test case
· · Download of source file template:
· · Use the path GOTO è Variants è Export Default
· · Select path and file name (e.g. C:\TEMP\Z_IE01_UPLOAD.TXT)
· · Click Transfer
Modify the source file
The downloaded source file template is now populated with the data that is to be uploaded. This is completed as follows:
· · Using Excel, open the tab-delimited text file.
· · Do not change any of the entries that already exist. 1st row contains the field names. 2nd row contains the field descriptions. 3rd row displays the default values which are set in the test case. 4th row contains a warning that changing the default values in the spreadsheet has no effect on the actual default values.
· · The data to be uploaded can be entered in the spreadsheet from row 4 onwards (delete the 4th row warning & replace with data for upload).
· · Save the file as a Text file (Tab delimited).
Upload data from the source file
Uploading the data is completed as follows:
· · Execute the CATT test case
· · In the Execute screen:
· · Set processing mode to Errors or Background (your choice).
· · Set variants to External from file.
· · Click the Choose button and select the file to be uploaded.
· · If uploading to another client, click the Remote execution button and select the RFC connection to the required client.
· · If uploading to the current client, click the execute button.