[David I] Today is my last day as a Borlander…

Waiting4you 2008-07-01 11:39:21
看来今天CodeGear彻底脱离Borland进入Embarcadero(这名字真它NN的难记)了。不知未来如何

David I:
Today is my last day as a Borlander…

I got up this morning to get ready to drive in to Scotts Valley just as I have for the past twenty-three years and 13 days. As I was driving in, I was thinking about product videos I need to create, trips I have to plan, webinars that I need to schedule, and articles I need to write. As I was making the transition from Highway 1 to Highway 17, it donned on me that this will be my last day as a Borlander. Tomorrow, I will make the same drive up to Scotts Valley as an Embarcadero Technologies employee!

I knew today was coming back on February 6, 2006 when Borland announced that they would sell off the developer business. The whole process became real with the Embarcadero definitive agreement announcement on May 7, 2008. In the past few weeks, while continuing to help drive revenue and awareness, many of us have also been filling out Embarcadero forms for insurance coverage, 401-k retirement fund planning, and other employment forms. Yet, it was surreal to be in the car this morning thinking about technology, products, and work items without thinking about the transition.

For 23 years I have focused on developers, tools, and software engineering. Looking forward, I will continue to focus on developers, tools, and software engineering. The combination of Embarcadero Technologies’ DatabaseGear and CodeGear products will give individuals, consultants, ISVs, SI/VARs, OEMs, small teams, and large teams unique capabilities, from an independent software company, across the database and programming spectrum.

We are focused on moving the state of the art in software engineering forward and continuing to add to tooling that embodies the best practices and knowledge of our craft. Come along with us if you are a software engineer and information engineer who

* cares about independence (even if you are dependent on a platform or stack),
* needs increased productivity and quality (even if you are sometimes forced to use less than productive tools),
* wants to be able to collaborate with other developers, designers, and architects (whether they work on your project or are part of your social network),
* enjoys being an active member of a community (even though you might, most of the time, just be a "heads down" developer trying to get the job done).

Whenever others have left Borland, I have added them to my Borland alumni list. Tomorrow, I will add myself to the list. With CodeGear becoming a part of Embarcadero Technologies, the transition is different. I am not leaving Borland per se, I am joining a company with the same tools heritage, shared mission, and common vision. As for Borland, its employees, partners, and customers, I wish you all the best of everything.

How will I feel tomorrow when I drive in to work? Will something be different? I’ll let you know tomorrow.

Allen Bauer:
The Last Day.

Today is my last official day as a Borland/CodeGear employee. After today, I will have been a Borland/CodeGear employee for 6021 days, or 16 years, 5 months, and 25 days. What is interesting about this is that tomorrow, I will continue to drive to the same building, ride the same elevator, and unlock the same office door. The only difference will be that I will be employed by Embarcadero. It has certainly been an interesting ride in my many years at Borland/CodeGear.

For some perspective, I started when the Borland stock was around $80 a share (ouch). The new Borland Campus wasn’t completed. Borland occupied a reasonably large number of buildings throughout Scotts Valley. If Borland didn’t occupy some or all of a building, chances are Seagate did. To move between the various buildings, there was a continuously running shuttle bus service for Borland employees. I also remember the clout that Borland had locally. When we (my family and myself) first arrived and were looking for someplace to rent, when asked where I worked and I said Borland, suddenly we were at the top of the list without any kind of other checks. It was pretty nice.

After today, there will be no official presence of Borland in Scotts Valley. The only thing linked to Borland will be name on the lease they maintain on part of this building that was once the Borland Corporate HQ and campus. Embarcadero will sub-lease the space we currently occupy from Borland.

Even though there have been many things Borland has done over the years that I firmly disagreed with, they’ve also done some pretty good stuff too. I’ve learned so much more than I ever could have imagined about software, the software industry, developer tools, frameworks, and compilers. I’ve also had the pleasure of knowing and meeting many folks in the industry from all around the world.

Tomorrow will start a new chapter with new challenges and opportunities. I’m sure it will take some time until the dust settles, the cultures merge, and things settle down to the right groove. Don’t expect any earth-shattering announcements or radical changes immediately out of the gate. This is a new experience for nearly all involved, so some period of acclimation is bound to take place.

Anders Ohlsson:
386,899,200 seconds

Goodbye Borland, and thanks for all the fish! It’s been a great ride, and tomorrow starts another great ride with Embarcadero Technologies!

386 million what? Oh, David and Allen was mentioning days, so I just wanted a bigger number, since my number of years is less… ;)

The below picture has nothing to do with anything, really. It’s last night’s smoggy sundown in Santa Cruz, and I figured I’d put it in here.

http://blogs.codegear.com/davidi/2008/06/30/38893/
http://blogs.codegear.com/abauer/2008/06/30/38862/
http://blogs.codegear.com/ao/2008/06/30/38935/
...全文
185 22 打赏 收藏 转发到动态 举报
写回复
用AI写文章
22 条回复
切换为时间正序
请发表友善的回复…
发表回复
我来看看CB 2008-07-04