我在看书时自己做的
不当之处
望指正
flyingFisher 2003-08-23
  • 打赏
  • 举报
回复
up
Introduction Welcome to .NET and Visual Basic .NET.As you already know, .NET is a name for a new strategy: a blueprint for building applications for the next decade. It’s actually even more than that. It’s Microsoft’s commitment to remain at the top of a rapidly changing world and give us the tools to address the needs of tomorrow’s computing. Visual Basic .NET is a language for creating .NET applications, like many others. It also happens that Visual Basic is the easiest to learn, most productive language (but you already know that). Visual Basic .NET is released shortly after the tenth anniversary of the first version of VB. The original language that changed the landscape of computing has lasted for 10 years and has enabled more programmers to write Windowsapplication than any other language. Programmers who invested in Visual Basic 10 years ago are in demand today. In the world of computing, how- ever, things change very fast, including languages. At some point, they either die, or they evolve into something new. Visual Basic was a language designed primarily for developing Windows applications. It was a simple language, because it managed to hide many of the low-level details of the operating system. Those who wanted to do more with Visual Basic had to resort to Win- dows API. In a way, earlier versions of Visual Basic were ‘sandboxed’ to protect developers from scary details. Microsoft had to redesign Visual Basic. The old language just didn’t belong in the .NET pic- ture (at least, it wouldn’t integrate very well into the picture). Visual Basic .NET is not VB7; it’s a drastic departure from VB6, but a necessary departure. Visual Basic .NET was designed to take us through the next decade of computing, and if you want to stay ahead, you will have to invest the time and effort to learn it. The most fundamental component of the .NET initiative is the .NET Framework, or simply the Framework. You can think of the Framework as an enormous collection of functions for just about any programming task. All drawing methods, for example, are part of the System.Drawing class. To draw a rectangle, you call the DrawRectangle method, passing the appropriate argu- ments. To create a new folder, you call the CreateDirectory method of the Directory class; to retrieve the files in a folder, you call the GetFiles method of the same object. The Framework contains all the functionality of the operating system and makes it available to your application through numerous methods. VB was such a success because it was a very simple language. You didn’t have to learn a lot before you could start using the language. Being able to access the Framework’s objects means that you’re no longer limited by the language. The new version of the language unlocks the full potential of .NET; now there’s hardly anything you can do with another language but can’t do 2877c00.qxd 11/11/01 4:13 PM Page xxiii INTRODUCTION xxiv with Visual Basic. This makes the language as powerful as any other language, but it also makes the learning curve steeper. The good news is that, if you get started today, you’ll get a head start, which may well last for another decade. Who Should Read This Book? You don’t need to know Visual Basic to read Mastering Visual Basic .NET,but you do need a basic understanding of programming. You need to know the meaning of variables and functions and how an If…Thenstructure works. This book is addressed to the typical programmer who wants to get the most out of Visual Basic. It covers the topics I feel are of use to most VB programmers, and it does so in depth. Visual Basic .NET is an extremely rich programming environment, and I’ve had to choose between superficial coverage of many topics and in-depth coverage of fewer topics. To make room for more topics, I have avoided including a lot of reference material and lengthy listings. For example, you won’t find complete project listings or Form descriptions. I assume you can draw a few controls on a Form and set their properties, and you don’t need long descriptions of the properties of the control. I’m also assuming that you don’t want to read the trivial segments of each application. Instead, the listings concentrate on the “meaty” part of the code: the procedures that explain the topic at hand. If you want to see the complete listing, it’s all on the CD. The topics covered in this book were chosen to provide a solid understanding of the principles and techniques for developing applications with Visual Basic. Programming isn’t about new key- words and functions. I chose the topics I felt every programmer should learn in order to master the language. I was also motivated by my desire to present useful, practical examples. You will not find all topics equally interesting or important. My hope is that everyone will find something interesting and something of value to their daily work—whether it’s an application that maps the folders and files of a drive to a TreeView control, an application that prints tabular data, or an application that saves a collection of objects to a file. Many books offer their readers long, numbered sequences of steps to accomplish something. Fol- lowing instructions simplifies certain tasks, but programming isn’t about following instructions. It’s about being creative; it’s about understanding principles and being able to apply the same techniques in several practical situations. And the way to creatively exploit the power of a language such as Visual Basic .NET is to understand its principles and its programming model. In many cases, I provide a detailed, step-by-step procedure that will help you accomplish a task, such as designing a menu. But not all tasks are as simple as designing menus. I explain why things must be done in a certain way, and I present alternatives and try to connect new topics to those explained earlier in the book. In several chapters, I expand on applications developed in earlier chap- ters. Associating new knowledge to something you have already mastered provides positive feedback and a deeper understanding of the language. This book isn’t about the hottest features of the language; it’s about solid programming tech- niques and practical examples. For example, I’m not going to show you how to write multithreaded applications. The real challenge with multithreaded applications is their debugging, which requires substantial experience. Once you master the basics of programming Windowsapplications with Visual Basic .NET and you feel comfortable with the more advanced examples of the book, you will find it easy to catch up with the topics that aren’t discussed.
Transact-SQL In Chapter 20, you builtSQL statements to retrieve and update rows in a database. You also learned all the variations of the SELECT statement. Some restrictions, however, can’t be expressed with a WHERE clause, no matter how complicated. To perform complicated searches, many programmers would rather write an application to retrieve the desired rows, process them, and then display some results. The processing could include running totals, formatting of the query’s output, calculations involving multiple rows of the same table, and so on. Most database management systems include extensions, which enhance SQL and make it behave more like a programming language. SQL Server provides a set of statements known as Transact-SQL (T-SQL). T-SQL recognizes statements that fetch rows from one or more tables, flow-control statements like IF…ELSE and WHILE, and numerous functions to manipulate strings, numeric values, and dates, similar to Visual Basic’s functions. With T-SQL you can do everything that can be done with SQL, as well as program these operations. At the very least, you can attach lengthy SQL statements to a database as stored procedures, so that you can call them by name. In addition, you can use parameters, so that the same procedure can act on different data. This chapter is an overview of T-SQL and demonstrates the basic topic with stored proce- dures that perform complicated tasks on the server. We’ll start with the COMPUTE BY state- ment, which allows you to calculate totals on groups of the rows retrieved from the database. This statement looks and feels very much like the straight SQL statements, yet it’s not part of standard SQL. Then we’ll look at T-SQL in depth. If you need to look up a function or how to declare a stored procedure’s arguments, you can use this chapter as reference material. If you’re new to T-SQL, you should read this material, because T-SQL is a powerful language, and if you’re working with or plan to switch to SQL Server, you’ll need it sooner or later. In addition, you’ll improve your Visual Basic programming. T-SQL is the native language of SQL Server. By seeing how the basic operations can be implemented in T-SQL and VB, you’ll gain a deeper under- standing of database programming.
Bonus Reference VB.NET Functions and Statements This bonus reference describesthe functions and statements that are supported by Visual Basic .NET, grouped by category. When you’re searching for the statement to open a file, you probably want to locate all file I/O commands in one place. This is exactly how this reference is organized. Moreover, by grouping all related functions and statements in one place, I can present examples that combine more than one function or statement. The majority of the functions are the same as in VB6. One difference is that many of the VB6 statements are implemented as functions in VB.NET. Moreover, many VB6 functions have an equivalent method in a Framework class. VB programmers are so accustomed to the old func- tions that they will not consider the alternatives—at least for a while. The Len() function of VB6 returns the length of a string. In VB.NET you can retrieve the length of a string with the Length method of a string variable. If strVaris declared as string variable, you can retrieve its length by calling the Length method: Dim strVar As String = “a short string” Console.WriteLine(“The string contains “ & strVar.Length & “ characters”) Or you can call the Len() function passing the name of the string as argument: Dim strVar As String = “a short string” Console.WriteLine(“The string contains “ & Len(strVar) & “ characters”) Most of the built-in functions are VB6 functions, and they accept optional arguments. VB.NET uses overloaded forms of the same function, and this is an important difference you have to keep in mind as you work with the built-in functions. If you omit an optional argument, you must still insert the comma to indicate that an argument is missing. Optional arguments are enclosed in square brackets. The Mid() function, for example, extracts a number of characters from a string, and its syntax is newString = Mid(string[, start][, length]) The starting location of the characters to be extracted is specified by the startargument, and the number of characters to be extracted is length. If you omit the startargument, the extraction starts with the first character in the string. If you omit the lengthargument, all the characters from the specified position to the end of the string are extracted. The only mandatory argument is the first one, which is the string from which the characters will be extracted, and this argument can’t be omitted. The methods of the various classes are discussed in detail in the book. This bonus reference con- tains all the functions supported by VB.NET, and these functions are listed by category in Table 1. Items in the table that are not followed by parentheses are statements and are also described in this reference.

社区成员

发帖
与我相关
我的任务
社区描述
软件工程/管理 管理版
社区管理员
  • 研发管理社区
加入社区
  • 近7日
  • 近30日
  • 至今